Just when you think you're safe, unemployment strikes.
Friday started out like any normal Friday. I got up, went to work, did a couple massages. Everything was fine.
Went to a bookstore with Amanda and Matt, then went to meet Chrystie and Preston for dinner. While heading for the restaurant, Matt ran into a buddy of his. While he chatted, I called in to work to see when I should be at work the next morning. My first appointment started at 9 A.M., with another around 11. Not a bad start to the day, and would probably get a walk-in or two.
Still no warning.
After dinner we went to a Halloween play at the Off-Broadway Theater. Amusing, but not as funny as last year. After Amanda and Matt dropped me off I logged on my 'puter and started chatting with a buddy. Realised it was getting late and I hadn't bothered to take my phone off silent mode or check for messages. By this time it was around 1:30 A.M. I saw my manager had sent some texts just minutes before. Odd for that time of night, but I figured someone was either sick or had a child come down with something and Ben was trying to get their shift covered for the day.
Nope.
He was texting those of us who were supposed to work Saturday morning to let us know not to drive to work, for he had just found out from the owners that Breathe Day Spa was no longer operating. That's right, I was given 7 whole hours notice that I was out of a job. Over TEXT MESSAGE. No blaming Ben at all, he's a good manager and trying to do the best thing. But the owners, for all their money and fancy-schmancy cars, seem to be lacking in the class department. No one had any idea at all this was coming. NONE.
So there I was, middle of the night, just found out that my job of almost 4 years that I totally loved was *poof* Gone. At this point I set feminism back a few years by calling Josh and crying at him 'til he invited me over out of pity, then cried at him in person for the rest of the night. He put up with my weepiness very well. Listened to my whiny venting, saying nice supportive things. Even earned himself some brownie points by telling me I looked pretty (with a straight face) even though I had been crying for hours, with all the accompanying facial swellings, discolorations, and discharges. Must have been the alluring Charlie Brown Halloween flannel pants and ratty, stained t-shirt. Think I might keep him around a while.
Saturday from about 2:30 A.M. on involved watching lots of '30 Rock' DVDs and Transformers 2 (which was really, really, bad. And not in the amusingly bad way. Just. Plain. BAD.) through leaky eyes and occasional bouts of sobs. I did drift off for a while, woke up around lunchtime. More brownie points for going out and picking us up some lunch before I thought it was time to go home and try to face the real world.
The e-mail from the owners of the spa didn't answer many questions, either. Basically, they are declaring bankruptcy and were advised by their legal whatevers to shut down the spa to stop incurring expenses. Last Friday was supposed to be payday as well, yet no one got paid. Now we all have to file for back pay and hope to get some of the money we earned the last 1.5 pay periods. I understand running a business is difficult. But something tells me it takes a little something special to take a popular and well-established spa and run it into the ground after it's been around for 10 years (we just celebrated the anniversary earlier this month). What really gets me is that they didn't bother to warn us lowly employees, not even the managers knew anything was wrong.
So there's my sob story. I'm filing for unemployment, and with the number of spas in this area I'm not too worried about finding a new job. Hopefully soon, so I can find a nearby apartment. I was struggling to afford this one even when I had a job and was looking to move pretty soon. But at the moment not sure where I'll end up so put that on hold. I'm sad to see Breathe end, and I already miss all my co-workers. I'll keep this updated and hopefully soon will be reporting I found a new job.
Tuesday, October 27, 2009
Unemployed. No likey.
Posted by Val at 9:39 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I am glad you had Josh to take care of you. Not fun to find out about that in the middle of the night like that.
I am sorry to hear this...hopefully something will open up soon for you!
Post a Comment