BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS �

Wednesday, October 1, 2008

High Times, Hard Times

So I guess this is what is known as the "hard times". I've been somewhat in denial about it. Kinda hoping if I just ignored it, it would go away and life would return to normal. That does not seem to be happening, so I guess it's time for me to make some decisions.

Work has slowed down to a very frightening trickle. This comes as a sad blow, since just a couple of weeks ago we were very nearly back to normal. Unfortunately, the you-know-what then hit the fan on Wall Street. I've been noticing a direct correlation to how the economy is reported to how busy we'll be at work. When things are holding or looking up, people come in. When things go south, or in this case right down the toilet, appointments are cancelled and the phones don't ring. And those few who do come in are stingy with the tips.

So now I have to decide how to best handle this, and I admit I'm at a loss. Do I grit my teeth and stay put? I love where I work and have been very happy there, and would be sad to have to leave. Also, the holiday season is right around the corner, always (at least in the past) a busy time at the spa. I'm not losing money at this point, but if things get much worse I will be. Do I start looking for a second job and cut back on the days I work at the spa? And if I do that, should I look for another massage job or fall back on my only other job skill which is retail/sales? (Which I hated and why I went to massage school in the first place to escape from.) Also, and this would be my last resort, at what point do I cut and run completely, hoping to return when/if things even out? Being a grown-up SUCKS!!!

So that's my main source of crazy-making these days. I've kinda put boys on the back burner for now, as I can only handle one disaster at a time. So feel free to send any advice my way. As well as lottery tickets or rich bachelors :-)

3 comments:

Amanda said...

Hey babe. Sorry it sucks. I would say that you should stick it out at the spa - because I don't see any other massage places doing any better than they do. Maybe you will need to pick up some shifts doing retail (it could be worse, it could be phones). It is Christmas coming up and stores are probably hiring part-timers. Do that if you are worried about money. But like I said, the Spa has been so much better than any other massage thing you have done, and you have senority there, so if things start to die, you have a better chance of sticking around. Do some of the other girls you work with have other jobs? Just curious.

Chrystie said...

Oh Val - when there's hard times, I think of high times and then...I put on my vest and I stick out my chest and I'm off to the races AGAIN! Hang in there...people can't live without massages forever. They will get tired to skimping after a week or two. Maybe do what Manda says and get some seasonal stuff, but I think you should try and keep your spa job if you love it so much.

Diane said...

I know how much being a grown-up sucks. I've been one for a long time. Advice...hmmm. Same as Amandas. At least at Kohls where BJ works, they ask what shifts you would be available for. You could sign up for those opposite your spa schedule. Also, you have clerical skills, but it is harder to schedule a secretarial/clerical job around stuff than a retail job. And, hopeuflly, it wouldn't be forever. 'Nother thing - you need to schedule time with a financial advisor. I never did, and I will pay for it when I retire (if ever). I'll go with you for moral support. Chrystie and Preston have one they use, or they have them at the credit union. You need more than a savings account. You need to be planning for your "golden years" too. Ha Ha. Or at least planning for emergencies, like these hard times.