So after a few months of talking about it and buying supplies here and there, I decided Thursday night I'd go up to the Utah Animal Adoption Center before work on Friday and take a look around. They're a non-profit, no-kill shelter that rescue adoptable cats, dogs, and even horses who had been in other shelters and were scheduled for euthanization. They have listings online and there were a few descriptions that sounded like good candidates. I had certain cat in mind, but found out when I got there he was 12 or 13 years old. He was so eager for affection I seriously considered taking him and giving him a nice home for his few remaining years. Still feel kinda guilty that I didn't. But seeing what Harvie and Beef went through in their old age, just not ready for that. There was also a cute little black cat who loved to be held and cuddled, but the worker said he'd probably need another cat buddy or he'd be too lonely, so had to pass him up, too.
Trying to show the blue eyes. In true cat style, not cooperating.
Considering what I knew of her history and how she was at the shelter, I was figured it would be a day or two until she adjusted to her new home. I've heard that cats will often hide for a few days when taken somewhere new. Not this cat. As soon as I opened the door to her carrier, she was out and exploring, purring like crazy. After she finished her tour, she followed me around, wanting attention until I had to leave for work. She doesn't really like to be picked up or held in my lap, but she sticks close by and curls up next to me when I hold still long enough. Turns out she's actually incredibly mellow and very sweet and affectionate. She doesn't follow me around like she did the first day or two, but if I'm out of sight too long, she'll come find me. I gotta say, I love having her around. She makes me smile :-) 
Gonna need another pillow, this one is hers now.
Tala is a 5 year old Siamese/Manx mix. Because of the Manx genes, she has a '3/4' tail, meaning her tail is about 3/4ths the length of normal. The shelter made sure she was, fixed, and up to date on shots, so I don't have to worry about that right now. She also has a microchip. I don't plan on letting her defenseless self outside at all, so I'm hoping it's never really needed, but it's nice to know it's there just in case.
Let the 'crazy cat lady' jokes commence.
2 comments:
A lady would have to be crazy not to want a kitty. She is very cute. And much more pettable than Jack or Fred.
Yay Val! A blog post!
Post a Comment