BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS �

Thursday, June 19, 2008

Not sleeping, so blogging

I seem to be having a hard time getting to sleep tonight, so thought I'd update my blog for this week. It's been fairly uneventful thus far, just the usual work/training/whatever. Work is good, if a tad slow. I'm very happy at the spa and actually enjoy going to work. (Well, most days.) Mostly because of my co-workers. We all get along very well, there's lots of joking around and having a good time between appointments. We even hang out on our off-times. From what I've heard from those that came from other spas or resorts, the lack of conflict and general snarkiness is pretty rare, considering it's mostly women working in very, very close quarters. We do have one token male, Todd, who puts up with us very well.

I've been at Breathe 2 1/2 years now. Since I have senority over most of the other Massage Therapists, I get first crack at any new appointments. This has really helped during this slow time, which hasn't affected me too much as yet. But some of the newer hires are really struggling. Business always drops off in the summer, but not usually until the end of June. But with the economy in the state of flux that it is, it started getting slow around April. There was one very scary week in May when there was hardly any work to go around, but luckily things have picked up. Not quite to where we'd like, but one upside to that is people are more willing to pick up shifts. Like for when I go to Vegas for the Boston/Styx concert the weekend of the 28th :-)

Hmm, what else can I bore you with? Let's see . . . how about my running? With the training schedule I'm following, I run 3 times a week. Mondays, Wednesdays, and Saturdays. Mondays are generally easy, 2 or 3 miles at my own pace. Wednesdays are for building speed and pace work, and are generally 5 or 6 miles. Saturdays are the long days, up to 8 or 9 miles now, 10 in another couple of weeks. Scary thought!! Today I was doing speedwork, in which after warming up I alternate running fast for a half mile, then recovery jogging for a half mile, repeated for 6 miles. Which is 4 laps around Liberty Park, FYI. I think I got a little over-excited my first few sprints tonight. By the 4th mile if I tried anything more than a slow trot I'd get a bad stitch in my side. What causes those things, anyway? Me no likey. So I took it easy and just jogged pretty slowly the last couple of miles. I'll have to pace myself better next time. I prefer running at night as that's when I tend to have more energy. Plus it's cooler outside and much less crowded at the park once the sun sets. The cold grass feels good to stretch on after, and seeing the stars through the trees is a nice perk, too.

I think that's a good enough overview of my life at this time. Hopefully I'll have something more entertaining for next week. Peace out, y'all.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Hey there - just your cautious sister here to say "Be careful running around liberty park at night by yourself". Ok, I am done now, glad you are doing good. Have fun running, better you than me! Have fun in Vegas too. I am jealous. You will be in 110 degrees and I will be in rain. Oh well.

Chrystie said...

You are funny! "Me no likey" made me laugh. I echo your cautious sister in saying "Be careful" but also have fun...maybe find yourself a big beefy running buddy?