BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS �

Thursday, June 12, 2008

My Birthday Camp-out

So here I am, 4 months later, finally posting a new blog. I was going to blog all about my cruise and everything, but I'm afraid too much time has gone by. So I'll just start where I am. Soon I shall have a camera (thanks Mom and Dad!) and will be able to post pictures when applicable.

For my birthday this year (I'm 27) I got to go camping! I hadn't been for years and was totally stoked when the opportunity came up. We didn't go far, just up Big Cottonwood Canyon about 10 miles to a campground called The Spruces. The plan had been to meet the rest of the group about 5 p.m. to drive up there. My friend Kristi got stuck at work so I waited for her and the two of us rolled up there about 8. At least that meant we didn't have to wait on dinner, it was waiting for us when we got there. We had dutch oven Enchillada Casserole, very yummy! Plus my friend Brady (the organizer of the trip) had gotten me a birthday cake with my name on it and everything. Chocolate, of course. We realized too late that we should have put the tent up before getting distracted by the food. Oops. We had to put the thing up in the dark. Luckily, its a very easy tent to put up, just took a little longer than normal. Kristi and I had a 6-man tent to ourselves, and as she had just had a long day to finish off a stressful week at work, she hit the sack rather early.

It was just an overnighter, so not much happened besides sitting by the fire and shooting the breeze til the early morning hours. But I loved it. Living in an apartment can feel rather confining. I was happy to be able to spend some serious outside time, even though it got pretty cold. Just as we were heading to bed, it started to rain. Just a very fine mist at first, then the drops were sounding larger as I went to sleep. I woke up when it got light around 6, and could still hear what sounded like rain hitting the tent. The birds were singing so I figured it couldn't be too bad. I sat up to look out the window, and had to laugh. It was snowing! I took a pic with my phone and sent it to a bunch of friends and fam, just because. The whole group (6 of us stayed the night, everyone else drove back. Wussies.) seemed to wake up at the same time, and I heard some colorful language from the other tents when they saw the snow. One couple packed up and left right then. I certainly wasn't going to drive down the canyon in the snow, so I snuggled back in to my warm, cozy sleeping bag and dozed off again. The next time I woke up the snow had all melted and the sun was out. The remaining 4 of us hung out for a couple hours and let the tents dry, and after a brief scare where I thought I'd lost my keys (they'd fallen out of my purse and were hiding under the foam I slept on. The Princess and the Pea I ain't.), we packed up and headed for home.

It was a good trip. Here's hoping I get to go again before the summers over. Without the snow next time . . .





P.S. My half-marathon is just a couple months away, Labor Day weekend. Training is going well, I'm up to running 8 or 9 miles on my long run days. I'm pretty much ready stamina-wise, just gotta work on getting a bit faster!

3 comments:

Chrystie said...

Wow! Another post already! I think there is a way to get the pictures from your phone to your blog...I am sure Preston knows how. Or just wait until you get your camera. I can't believe you can run 9 miles at once...I have to say that is something I have never ever done in my whole life. You are braver than me.

Amanda said...

I know how to do the pictures. Just picture message to your email and save it on your computer. I have done it a couple of times. Easy!

Hurray, you have a blog.

Diane said...

I found you! Just a few days late, but I tend to be that way. I'm never the first commenter. I like your snow picture. Have a great week! Mom